Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mountain Lion Work in Progress - 01



 Hello All,

It's been a while since I have posted so I thought I better post a Work In Progress of what I'm working on.

This is a Mountain Lion from Montana.  I took his picture about 3 years ago and have been wanting to do a piece on him for quite some time.

He is done with 100% Colored Pencil on light tan suede mat board.

The first image to the left is of his nose and muzzle.  The next I continued to work on his face, up the bridge of his nose and I put in his eyes.

The next image I am just continuing to put in the rest of his face.

This piece is 12" X 16".  To the right of the mountain lion head will be sky with clouds in the sky.  Hidden in the clouds will be an Indian Chief (head shot as well).  Hopefully this will work out the way I envision it.  I found a picture of an Indian Chief on a public domain site.  I plan on making it obscure so although it will be copied from that site, it is public domain and it will be very different from the original picture.  My plan is to call this piece "Animal Totem".

If you are wondering if I am going to finish the elephants...... I will finish them.  I just had to set them aside because I am working on my book which is the complete colored pencil guide to cats, both wild and domestic.  So..... anything I do right now needs to be cats.  This mountain lion piece will be in the book but only partially.  Parts of the lion will be demoed in the book and there may be a completed shot of it on a filler page.

I hope all of you are having a Happy Holiday, no matter what it is you celebrate.  This is a the time of the year to appreciate one another and I have to say I appreciate all of you!  Don't forget to keep Scribbling!!

Gemma


11 comments:

  1. Hola Gema. Me parece buenísimo tu trabajo y el paso a paso es estupendo, me fijo en cada detalle. Estoy intrigada con el soporto que usas, no lo conozco, siempre utilizo papel y más con los lápices.
    Cuando tengas tu libro terminado estoy interesada en comprar uno, espero que nos avises.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olga! I do explain the process I use with the suede mat board in great detail in the book. The suede at is one of my favorite surfaces!

      Delete
  2. This is looking superb already Gemma, I love it! Your description of the composition is also a great idea and I can't wait to see the painting as a whole. Good luck with your book; I am certain it will be appreciated by artists worldwide! Happy Holidays, Colette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colette! Happy holiday to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Happy Holiday Gemma
    This is going to be another stunning piece and who couldn't love Big Cats?
    I think your Suede Mat may be like Clairefontaine Pastelmat?
    Do you use just one brand of cps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue!
    I'm not sure what the pastel mat is! What I use is regular mat board (used for framing) but it is the suede finish. The brand I use is Crescent, I buy it from my framer. I predomintely use prismacolor pencils but I do use several other brands as well.
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is already looking GORGEOUS! I've learned so much from your WIP on the bulldog above (in your title) on WC. Really looking forward to following the progression of this one as well :)
    Care to share the colors you're using to get that mountain lion color as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind comments!

    Normally I would be happy to explain the process and colors I use but i won't be able to this time because this mountain lion is being done for the book I a writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand Gemma! Thank you for sharing the information that you have! I can't wait to see your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Gemma,

    As always, your work is outstanding.! I love this mountain lion's expression.His eyes say it all. Wonderful work.

    Susan Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much Susan, that is very much appreciated!!!

      Gemma

      Delete