Sunday, January 13, 2019

Alpha Pair - Wolves - WIP 01

 Hello Everyone!

Well, well, well.... it's been forever since I posted here. There really isn't any excuse but I just thought I would mention, I was having a big problem with my website. I had to redesign it and it took two times, redesigning before I finally decided to change hosts and go for complete new software to do it. Then I had to start all over again and there was a huge learning curve. So.... between that, joining the SOAR with Ann, program, teaching workshops and lots more, I just haven't been here. So sorry!

I'll try to catch up on some of my comings and goings but for now I thought I would show you my newest piece I'm working on.

The top image is the photo I'm working from. I took this photo while in Montana at Triple D, in the snow, last January. While I was there I was taking a photography workshop with Kathleen Reeder (at kathleenreader.com), I highly recommend her workshops she's the one who I went with for another photography workshop to Africa. I'll try to post some images, later, that I took while there. That's another whole new story I have to get caught up on.

This pair of wolves were the alpha pair of a pack of wolves I was photographing. I was so interested in the interaction between the two... it was so much fun watching them and photographing them.

The next image is where I started, creating the snow in the background. As you can see, I decided to take my creative license to leave out and add a bit here and there that I thought would enhance the overall composition.

Then I started working on the female wolf, she is the black wolf. As you can see, I have just posted the progress as I continue along so there is not much to say about it. 

One thing I would like to mention is that it is difficult to capture the artwork the way it really is at this point because there is so much contrast between the dark wolf and the white paper, but the images will improve as I get more of the surrounding area in.

I'll be creating a few more posts because I have actually got 11 total progress shots. 

This piece is done with 100% colored pencil on white Clairefontaine Pastelmat Card and it's 20" x 16".

If you have any comments or questions let me know.

Keep Scribbling!
Gemma









No comments:

Post a Comment