Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mountain Lion / Reflections Series WIP 03


Hi All,

It's been a while since I have been able to work on this piece. Between the Colored Pencil Society of America Convention and vacation I just didn't have the time to work on it.

The Mountain Lion has been done with colored pencil with just a little bit of pastels for the highlights. The water was done by laying down 3 layers of colored pencil using Prismacolors, Moss Green, Dark Umber and Black and then blending it with a brush dipped in Gamsol and then slightly dried on a paper towel. I then created the details using Prismacolors Nupastels and the new PanPastels. I really like the effect this gave the water. If I get this piece done in time it will be my entry for the "CPSA Explore This!" show. I'm now starting to work on the Mountain Lions reflection, I plan to do that predominately in CP. Although, I will probably use pastels for the highlights.

If you should have any questions don't hesitate to ask and don't forget..... Keep Scribbling!
Gemma

6 comments:

  1. Wow, looking real nice Gemma! Thanks for sharing your technique and materials used. I've never tried the Gamsol and have never heard of it but am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colette, Gamsol is just a brand of solvent. What's really nice about it is odorless. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin'real good lady! Love the depth your getting in the water, it's certainly working for you. Chop chop..you have a deadline to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Toni!! You and that whip of yours... you just couldn't resist, always driving us.... hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just found your site via Lynda Schumaker's blog. I love this drawing of a swimming mountain lion.
    I don't think we can buy suedeboard in the UK but I have recently been experimenting with coloured pencils and Zest It solvent on pastelmat paper (which may be similar)?
    Anyway, look forward to seeing the final stages here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue,

    Thanks so much. I would think you could get it. It is a mat board and it's made by the mat board manufacturers. I buy mine from my framer so check with your nearest framer, they usually have several to choose from.

    Thanks for your kind comments about my work.
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete